Thursday, May 20, 2010

18.5.10 Daly Waters to Katherine 302km, total 5565km


We are getting so arrogant about the distance. Decided that we only had about 500km to go to Jabiru hence there was no rush. Took our time after a sleep in and a leasurely breakfast at Daly Waters pub, eventually got under way about 9am, and roared into another stretch of fairly dull road. Rapidly covered the 180km to Mataranka where there is a hot spring thermal resort. Bizarre but I can not think of anything less appealing than a hot spring soak in this heat and humidity, I think it would push me over the edge, I would probably melt, perhaps have a seizure or more likely instantaneously self combust. No thanks, I am not prepaired ot take the risk, I will however continue to fuel my coffee addiction and so we stoped at a café for a Coffee and Scone. There were a group of Nomads that stopped at the café as well and there were a couple of Kiwis taking stick about their pronounciation of “Scone”. The kiwis were correctly pronouncing and enjoying their Scones, the Aussies were preferring their “Scowns”, a real you say Tomato I say Tomato, situation. We joined in and the Aussies were outnumbered, but bless them, they couldn’t see the error of there ways and continued eating their Scowns . A lot of banter was had over the morning Coffee and all in good humour. This was another group that clearly were headed in the same direction and having a lot of fun together.

We headed into Katherine, just down the road another 100km or so, and went to find a Doctor to have alook in Dads ear which was giving him some pain. He wasn’t making a fuss but was clearly bothered by his ear. I can not recall Dad ever complaining of pain or discomfort even when he has been in significant bother, with Hip operations, Injuries and Heart operations etc so he must have been in significant pain to be complaining. The local GP was not able to see him so we went to the Hospital and joined in the queue at the A&E. I stayed out and guarded the bikes and ended up stripping down to shorts and T Shirt, getting out the sun umbrella and deck chair and opening up the pannier to act as a desk surface to do some computer stuff. I felt very comfortable with my mobile office set up in the local hospital. I had no illusion that the Katherine A&E would be any different to any other A&E, and that I would be in for a wait. Had a few conversations with a few staff as they passed by. I tried unsuccessfully to book a tour in the Kakadu tomorrow, and found out that all of the accommodation was booked, there were camp sites available. Three hours later Dad emerged with a script in hand looking a fair bit relieved to have a diagnosis, He’s not just getting soft.

Packed up my camp and we rode into town to find a Pharmacy and to get to the bank. Dad took off and I was behind a couple of cars, then up ahead ws this mad man standing in the middle of the road doing star jumps, no wait a minute he’s waving, “am I being arrested for something? Maybe it is illegal to camp in the A&E carpark?” I started to pull over and then recognised Ken, who had seen Dad go through. Ken and Dick had arrived and booked into a motel in Katherine for email access for business. Had a brief chat then tried to catch up with Dad who had disappeared. Took a while to find Dad again, who eventually emerged from the Westpac bank. There are a lot of Aborigine people sitting around in various parts of the town, which is quiet conspicuios, very relaxed looking people. We decided that it was now after 3.30 and that we would be better to stop in Katherine and have an early start into the Kakadu in the morning.

Caught up with Dick and Ken at the Motel. It sounds like they have had a great time on the dirt roads and had a real feeling of elation at getting through a road that was closed. They have a similar perspective about her last couple of days of riding. Did some computer work then had dinner. Wore my jeans and jersey as all of my other clothes were in the wash. Took a slow moving approach to the evening to avoid over heating.

No comments:

Post a Comment